The West Virginia General Building Contractor's Trades Exam and the West Virginia Business Law Exam are the two tests you'll need to pass to get your …Read More>>
The West Virginia Trades Exam and the West Virginia Business Law Exam are the two tests you'll need to pass to get your contractor's license. The trad…Read More>>
Pre-Printed tabs for all 5 Books used in the West Virginia General Building Exam & West Virginia Business Law Book. Each tab set includes blank ta…Read More>>
State Requirements & Application
Board Contact Information:
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be of good character and otherwise qualified as to competency, ability, integrity and financial responsibility. To prove financial responsibility you must submit a bank credit reference form.
- Must provide copy of an insurance certificate showing proof of workers compensation insurance and unempolyment insurance for all employees working in West Virginia.
- The West Virginia General Building Trades exam and West Virginia Business Law and Project Management exam completion is required prior to submitting the application for the License.
- A wage bond status afidavid is required to be submitted with your application.
- There is no expierence requirement for this license.
Professional Division of Labor
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Building 3, Room 200
Charleston, WV 25305
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:30pm
Website: West Virginia Licensing Contractors Board
Frequently Asked Questions: View FAQ
Fees: The application fee for a new prime contractor license is $90. The renewal fee is $90.
West Virginia Application: West Virginia Application
This open book test covers information over 9 subject areas. The questions are created from content in the 5 of the 6 books in the set shown above. There is also a WV Business Law exam which will cover information from the other book in the set above.
Candidate Information Bulletin: Click here to download the bulletin.
Applicants must also pass a separate exam on Business Law and Project Management for West Virginia. There is a separate $60 fee for the Business Law exam.
Exam Information Exam Fee N/A Number of Questions 80 Passing Score 70% or 56 Questions Time Limit 180 Minutes
Subject Area Number of Questions Plan Reading & Estimating 8Sitework & Foundations
8 Concrete 12 Masonry 8 Structural Steel 6 Carpentry 14 Associated Trades 12 Roofing 6 Safety OSHA 6
The West Virginia General Building Contractor license allows the builder to bid on, build, or modify any type or size of commercial or residential property.