Pre-Highlighted & Tabbed South Carolina Residential Builder ComboMSRP:$1,699.00
South Carolina Residential Builder ComboMSRP:$1,199.00
South Carolina Residential Contractor Reference Book SetMSRP:$645.00
South Carolina Residential Contractor Exam Prep Course (Trades and Business Law)MSRP:$499.00
Printed Book Tabs for South Carolina Residential ContractorMSRP:$70.00
Pre-Highlighted & Tabbed South Carolina Residential Builder Combo
The South Carolina Residential Exam and the South Carolina Business Law Exam are the two tests you'll need to pass to get your contractor's license. T…Read More>>MSRP:$1,699.00Add to Cart View Product
South Carolina Residential Builder Combo
The South Carolina Residential Exam and the South Carolina Business Law Exam are the two tests you'll need to pass to get your contractor's license. T…Read More>>MSRP:$1,199.00Add to Cart View Product
South Carolina Residential Contractor Reference Book Set
This complete SC Residential book set includes the following: International Residential Code Carpentry & Building Construction The Contrac…Read More>>MSRP:$645.00Add to Cart View Product
South Carolina Residential Contractor Exam Prep Course (Trades and Business Law)
The South Carolina Residential Trades Exam and the South Carolina Business Law Exam are the two tests you'll need to pass to get your contractor's lic…Read More>>MSRP:$499.00Add to Cart View Product
Printed Book Tabs for South Carolina Residential Contractor
Pre-Printed tabs for all 8 books used in the South Carolina Residential Contractor Exam. Each tab set includes blank tabs for additional customization…Read More>>MSRP:$70.00Add to Cart View ProductStep 2
Purchase your exam prep course - South Carolina Residential ExamStep 3
Study for your South Carolina Residential Exam
South Carolina Residential Requirements & Application
- License will be required for the practice of contracting in South Carolina for contracts exceeding $5,000.
- You must be pre-approved by the board before being allowed to sit for the exam.
- Application fees must be submitted with your application as well as a credit report.
- The South Carolina Business and Law exam is required.
- Applicants must obtain a $15,000 surety bond.
- No monetary limitation or requirements
- Submit an affidavit showing proof of at least one year of actual experience of the supervision of a licensed builder.
- Surety Bonds: Beginning with this renewal cycle, the South Carolina Contractor's Licensing Board can now accept a surety bond in lieu of a financial statement for both renewals and initial applications. Basically, an applicant can provide a surety bond in the amount of two (2) times the net worth requirement for the Group Level applied for. For example a General Contractor Group 5 would require a surety bond in the amount of $500,000.Board Contact Information:
South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
Synergy Business Park, Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, SC 29210
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:00pmWebsite:South Carolina State Licensing Board
Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ
Fees:The application fee for a new South Carolina builder's license is $100. To obtain a license application and other forms for South Carolina go to South Carolina Residential Application
South Carolina Residential Test InformationTest Information: This test covers information in 8 subject areas. The questions are created from content in the 8 book set shown below the following chart.
You have 3 attempts to pass this test in 12 months.
Candidate Information Bulletin: South Carolina Residential Candidate bulletin.
Exam Information Exam Fee $75 Number of Questions 110 Passing Score 70% or 77 Questions Time Limit 360 Minutes
Subject Area Number of Questions General Building Construction 74 Residential Electrical 12 Residential Hvac 12 Residential Plumbing 12
South Carolina Residential License Reciprocity
Q. Can I obtain a SC Residential Builders License if I am licensed in another state without having to take the SC exam? A. Yes, you may waive the technical portion of the examination only if you hold a license by examination from a state with which the Commission has an Exam Waiver Agreement. Grandfather licensees do not qualify for exam waiver, you must be licensed by examination in one of the following states. The Commission has an Exam Waiver Agreement with the following states for a Residential Builders license only:
- North Carolina
- SC Contractors Licensing Board
- NASCLA National Contractors Examis also accepted You must still take and pass the Business and Law portion of the South Carolina examination. If you are issued a license by exam waiver, you will be limited to undertaking non-mechanical work only and will be required to contract with an appropriately licensed subcontractor to provide electrical, plumbing or HVAC work. However, if you choose to take and pass the South Carolina technical examination, you will be authorized to perform the mechanical trades as well as the building trades. South Carolina Reciprocity
South Carolina Residential License Permitted Work
"Residential builder" means one who constructs, superintends, or offers to construct or superintend the construction, repair, improvement, or reimprovement of a residential building or structure which is not over three floors in height and which does not have more than sixteen units in any single apartment building, when the cost of the undertaking exceeds five thousand dollars. Anyone who engages or offers to engage in such undertaking in this State is considered to have engaged in the business of residential building. Permitted Work
South Carolina Residential Prep Courses Offered