The West Virginia Multi-Family Building Contractor's Trades Exam and the West Virginia Business Law Exam are the two tests you'll need to pass to get …Read More>>
The West Virginia Trades Exam and the West Virginia Business Law Exam are the two tests you'll need to pass to get your contractor's license. The trad…Read More>>
Pre-Printed tabs for all 4 Books used in the West Virginia General Building Exam & West Virginia Business Law Book. Each tab set includes blank ta…Read More>>
State Requirements & Application
Board Contact Information:
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be of good character and otherwise qualified as to competency, ability, integrity and financial responsibility. To prove financial responsibility you must submit a bank credit reference form.
- Must provide copy of an insurance certificate showing proof of workers compensation insurance and unempolyment insurance for all employees working in West Virginia.
- The West Virginia Multi-Family Building Trades exam and West Virginia Business Law and Project Management exam completion is required prior to submitting the application for the License.
- A wage bond status afidavid is required to be submitted with your application.
- There is no expierence requirement for this license.
Professional Division of Labor
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Building 3, Room 200
Charleston, WV 25305
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:30pm
Website: West Virginia Licensing Contractors Board
Frequently Asked Questions: View FAQ
Fees: The application fee for a new prime contractor license is $90. The renewal fee is $90.
West Virginia Application: West Virginia Application
This open book test covers information over 9 subject areas. The questions are created from content in the 4 of the 5 books in the set shown above. There is also a WV Business Law exam which will cover information from the other book in the set above.
Candidate Information Bulletin: Click here to download the bulletin.
Applicants must also pass a separate exam on Business Law and Project Management for West Virginia. There is a separate $60 fee for the Business Law exam.
Exam Information Exam Fee N/A Number of Questions 74 Passing Score 70% or 52 Questions Time Limit 180 Minutes
Subject Area Number of Questions Plan Reading & Estimating 9Sitework
6 Concrete 9 Masonry 8 Structural Steel 3 Carpentry 15 Roofing 6 Associated Trades 12 Safety OSHA 6
The West Virginia Multi-Family Contractor license allows the builder to bid on, build, or modify multifamily residential structures or work incidental to the construction, maintenance or repair. Multifamily residential structure means a structure containing two or more residential units.